3 Mayıs 2010 Pazartesi

20. The Bluest Eye part 2 "American Beauty"

This the part which is I'm going to talk about American Beauty.

In the book, beauty is one of it's themes and one of the main character is so ugly than you can imagine and that girl who is I'm talking about Pecola. Pecola wants to her eyes turns into "Blue" because there is streotyping about ideal women. If you want to be look like ideal women, you should have blond hair with blue eyes and having a pretty appereance. (I mean girl/woman would have look like Beyonce:)You know Beyonce has big lips and hip, So she has all black people's physical appearence.Besides that the first part of the book is telling about ideal beauty because when Pecola had a chrismas gift, she had a baby doll and then she got angry with that.Nobody had to give a gift for her and she did not want to have a baby doll because there was ideal beauty.(page 19,20,21)

Also there was idealization of black people.There is "funk" word I think it means being black and it refers to form of black people's appereance. "... They hold their behind in for fear of sway too free; when they wear lipstick, they never cover the entire mouth for fear of lips too thick, and they worry, worry, worry about edges of their hair"( pg. 83).

At the end of the book, Pecola would has blue eyes and she would become "mad" because writer tries to show us that beauty is not a good thing because it is destructive and changes people to people.

4 yorum:

  1. If ideal beauty is white, blonde and blue-eyed, then how could looking like Beyoncé be considered ideal?

    Remember it was Claudia who got the white baby dolls, not Pecola. Pecola doesn't get anything nice from her parents.

    Tümay, try to pay attention to your use of tenses: can we say "would has", for example? Which tense should we use when describing the events of a story?

    by 'distrative' do you mean 'destructive'?

    YanıtlaSil
  2. I forgat to write why I gave an example for beauty,Beyonce. I should add that information because you know Beyonce has big lips and hip, So she has all black people's physical appearence.
    yes, I mean destructive.:)

    YanıtlaSil
  3. But Tümay, I still don't follow your argument then. You start your sentence with ideal white beauty and then you start talking about black appearance - I'm confused..

    YanıtlaSil
  4. I tried to show black people want to have that beauty but they could not have because they're different for physically I mean.Because of that American beauty is not right for them.

    YanıtlaSil