5 Mayıs 2010 Çarşamba

23. The Bluest Eye part 5 "character analyses"

Cholly:

He was father of Pecola and Sammy and also husband of Pauline. He abondoned by his mother when he was four days old and taken in by his great Aunt Jimmy.His mother vanished.When he was a teenager, he had a friend who was called Blue. Blue was a black, old man who worked at food store. He learnt that he had a father and he tried to find him. He found him but his father rejected him as a son.His early teens Cholly's Great Aunt Jimmy became sick and an older black woman named M'dear warned Aunt Jimmy for getting better she should drink pot liquor and nothing else.Aunt Jimmy ate peach coppler and then died. When his Aunt's funeral was happening, he went to the river with a girl, who was Darlene. They began to sex but their sex was interrupted from two white hunters.They said Cholly that he should be faster and good to be able to finish his issue with Darlene.Cholly was humiliated and powerless, while it was happening.He countinued to having sex with her until hunters got bored and left there. By the way he heard Pauline was pregnant, he went next to her and married with her.One saturday afternoon spring,Cholly was totally drunk, he raped his daughter because she was straching her like her mother's did when Cholly and Pauline met. At the end of the book, he died at working place.

It was his story in the book. I realized something about him and here it is:(there is some sayings about him from the narrator.)

- He was free, dangreously free
- Free to feel whatever he felt, fear, guilt,shame,love,grief,pity
- Free to be tender or violent,to whistle or weep
- Free to sleep in doorways or between the white sheets of a singing woman
- Free to take a job, free to leave it
- He could go to jail and not feel imprisoned, for he had already seen the furtiveness in the eyes of his jailer, free to say," No, suh," and smile, for he had already killed three white men.
- Free to take woman'S insults, for his body had already conquered hers
- Free even to knock her in the head, for he had already cradled that head in his arms.
- Free to be gentle when she was sick, or mop her floor, for she knew what and where his maleness was.
- He was free to drink himself into silly heplessness, for he had already been a gandy dancer, done thirty days on chaing gang, and picked woman's bullet out of the calf of his leg.
- He was free to live his fantasies, and free even to die, the how and when of which held no interest for him.( p.159)

So, we can see he has nothing to loose when his great Aunt Jimmy's death. I do not like him so much because whatever happens he should not rape his daughter. I think writer tries to show us the tragedy of black men's for that period of time. They were powerless but they had to protect their family and even theirselves.

1 yorum:

  1. Sonja, sorry for deleting of your comment because I wanted to delete mine but I realized I delete all of them:((I'm so sorry.However, I can remember what you said and I'll check my language errors and I misunderstood the person who was telling us all of these about Cholly. For now with your comment I understand that part better. Thank you.:)

    YanıtlaSil