Pauline,
She is 9th or 11th children of her family and I think according to that reason her family ignored her. Also, her family migrates from Alabama to Kentucky, when she is a little girl. She met Cholly when she is 15. They marry and move far up to the north.
Pauline has a few friends. Because of Cholly refuses to give her money, she begin to work as housekeeper for white family but she loses the job because Cholly goes there ( he is drunk) to take money from her. White woman, who is employer of Pauline, says Pauline if you leave Cholly I'll give your money otherwise I would not. After that, Pauline becomes pregnant. While she is pregnant, her life is lonely.
The part which she is giving her 2nd birth, there is some sayings about Black women.
In that part that saying tell us that "Black women are like horses, they have no pain".I do not like that part because I know they are human as we're. These people ,who say Black people are different, are humiliating them. After the birth, she find permanent job and she starts o work for white family, who called Fisher's.
This is Pauline's brief story. I forgat the mention Pauline is not attractive and beautiful woman. She does not like to have sex with Cholly and she is disgusting from having sex. These two part affect me and they give some messages about how black people suffered from having some judgements about them.
I think you are mixing up Pauline and Geraldine here - it is Geraldine who doesn't enjoy sex with her husband.
YanıtlaSilYes, isn't it awful the way the doctors treated Pauline. That's how African-Americans were viewed - as animals.
But there is some parts she really does not enjoying. I mean the part is "... He puts his thing in me. In me. In me. ... Not until I feel him loving me. Just me.Sinking into me. ..."( page 130) That part helps to think that she is not enjoying sex with Cholly.
YanıtlaSilI think you may be misinterpreting it. She wants to feel him loving her, only her. Remember that Pauline never really experienced the love of her family. She associates sex with her husband with love. If she can satisfy him, she feels pleased, she feels that he has loved her.
YanıtlaSilDoes that help?
Yes that helps.:) I guess I'm misinterpreting it.:))
YanıtlaSil